In todays article we are going to discuss how can we repair a corrupted SD Card or Pen Drive. The main reason behind why it happens are many, but most common reason that cause it is Using the SD card in an unruly manner can lead it to malfunction. For instance, inserting or ejecting your SD card from the phone or frequently using it on multiple platforms can cause the SD card to get corrupted. Similar is the case with Pen Drives they get corrupted when we don’t eject the device properly, i.e ejecting the Pen Drive While the system Was writing on it.
To Repair your SD Card or Pen Drive you need to connect them with your laptop. In the cars of SD Card you need to insert it to the SD Card slot or insert it by using the Card reader, if you have Adapter you can also use that. It will not work if you use some device(smart phone camera ) to connect you SD Card with your computer. In the case of pen drive you does not need any of these accessory.
Repair A SD Card Or Pen Drive
Method 1 : Changing the Drive letter
Some time the problem occur only in one computer and work fine on other computer. This may occur because your computer is unable to assign a proper drive letter(like C, D, E etc ) to your Device, due to this the files are not accessible on your computer. To solve this problem you have to set the Drive letter for your device manually.
Here is the Step By Step guide to solve this type of problem
- Connect your storage device(SD Card/ Pen Drive ) to your computer.
- Right Click on My Computer/This PC. Click Manage in the drop down menu.
- Click Disk Management in the left side and wait for a few seconds so that Windows can load the Virtual disk service.
- Right Click on your storage media and click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click the drive letter (it will turn blue) and click Change.
- Select the drive letter from the drop-down list. Click OK.
One more solution of above kind of problem is that you can use a different computer or laptop as may be problem is only with your computer.
Method 2 : Repairing SD Card or Pen Drive Using Window Explorer
This is most commonly used procedure to fix the corrupted Storage media connected to your computer.
- Connect Your Storage Device with Computer.
- Open My Computer/This PC.
- Select the corrupted drive and Right Click.
- Click Format in the drop down menu.
- Now Click Restore Device Defaults in the popup window.
- Click Start to begin the format process. You can uncheck the Quick format option if you want the computer to deep scan the drive/card for errors but this will take time. So, uncheck it only if you fail in the first attempt.
- Click Ok in the next dialog box which will warn you that the data will be lost. The format process will complete in a few moments, and you will have your error free SD card or pen drive.
Method 3 : Repairing Storage Device using CMD
Some time when we try to repair our corrupted device with the window explorer method we get some error and we can’t format our device. in this kind of problems we can format our device using the windows command prompts commonly known as the CMD.
Here is the step by step guide on how to format a device using windows command prompts.
- Connect the corrupted pen drive or SD card to your computer.
- Hover your mouse on the Start button and Right Click.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin). A CMD window will open.
- Type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter. A list of all the storage devices connected to your computer will be displayed.
- Type select disk <the number of your disk> and press Enter.
- Type clean and press Enter.
- Type create partition primary and hit Enter.
- Type active.
- Type select partition 1.
- Type format fs=fat32 and press Enter.
The Format process will finish in few minutes.
Method 4 : Reinstall the Drivers
Sometime the drivers on our computer system get corrupted. The solution for this would be to uninstall the driver and then install it again. Similarly may be the your storage device driver get corrupted, you can easily reinstall the driver by following these simple steps.
- Right click My Computer/ This PC. Click Manage.
- Click Device Manager on the left side.
- Double-Click Disk Drives in the list then Right Click on the name of your pen drive.
- Click Uninstall. Click Ok.
- Disconnect your storage media and restart your PC.
- Connect your pen drive again. Your PC will detect it.
Hopes this article help if any way it does not work feel free to comment down below